Today we learned about animal cells and their organelles. We learned about the following organelles and the jobs they do.
- Nucleus- controls the cell and its functions (the “brain” of the cell)
- Golgi Bodies- help package materials from the endoplasmic reticulum and distribute them around the cell or outside of it
- Cell Membrane- encloses the cell and acts like a screen to allow some materials to pass through it but not others
- cytoplasm- gel-like fluid made of mostly water that takes up most of the space inside the cell
- Vacuoles- small fluid-filled structures that temporarily store different substances needed by the cell
- Endoplasmic Reticulum- internal delivery system for cell
- Ribosomes- make protein for the cell
Take a look at the model we did in class.
Homework tonight: Read and annotate / highlight and answer the questions (1. Why did Robert Hooke name his discovery “cells”? 2. List the 6 parts to the cell theory.) Getting_to_Know__Cell_Theory